Lake Simcoe Trail
The Lake Simcoe trail winds along Lake Dr. adjacent to the shores of Lake Simcoe through a typical urban/cottage landscape, offering travellers the only visible access to Lake Simcoe. For a portion of its length, the Lake Simcoe Trail follows the bed of the Lake Simcoe Junction Railway, that in 1907 connected Jackson’s Point to Toronto. Migrating waterfowl and other wildlife including fox, deer, skunks, racoons and weasels can be found along the trail. It is approximately 50 km in length, extending from its eastern terminals in Virginia, through the Town of Georgina, to its western border of Cook’s Bay.
There are many points of interest just off the trail. To name a few:
- First Nations of Georgina: comprised of 3 islands – Fox, Snake & Georgina. Approximately 185 people residing and 105 cottagers on Georgina Island, while other islands only have cottagers. During open water months, residents & visitors access Georgina Island on Car Ferry “Aazhaawe”.
- Sibbald Park: Eildon Hall, memorial museum just inside Sibbald Point Provincial Park; St. George’s Church, stone church built in 1877, cemetery holds remains of Stephen Leacock author/poet.
- The Briars: 200-acre resort owned/operated by 5 generations of the Sibbald family.
- Jackson’s Point Harbour: provides picturesque view of Lake Simcoe and overnight accommodation for sailboats & powerboats.
- Georgina Village Museum: adjacent to Civic Centre, this museum depicts a crossroads settlement from 1857 to 1923.
- Roches Point: contemplated as the first capital of Upper Canada, this quiet & remote area is home to many lakefront estates and an old stone Anglican church built in 1863.
Access Point(s): With parking starting from south of Town: Ravenshoe Rd., Young’s Harbour, Glenwoods Dr., Church St. (Simcoe St. parking only), Maple Leaf Park, Civic Centre, Willow Beach Conservation Area, Willow Beach Wharf – Kennedy Rd., De La Salle Park, Jackson’s Point, Sibbald Point Provincial Park. There are several areas for parking along the way one being at the western section of the trail at Lake Dr. and Ravenshoe Road.
For a detailed map of the trail click here.