- YSpace Markham – 3rd Floor
- 169 Enterprise Blvd. , Markham,
The City is developing its first public art master plan. Join the builders of Markham’s public art program for an evening of presentations, discussions, and a hands-on workshop.
Let us hear your ideas about how public art can help mark our city!
– Formal remarks by Mayor Frank Scarpitti
– Presentation on public art and the development of Markham’s Public Art Master Plan: 2020-2025 by public art consultant Workshop Architecture
– A panel of professionals will also share their ways of working in the realm of public art and their vision for Markham: (i) Mary Anne Barkhouse: A Kwakiutl artist whose installations evoke consideration of the self as a response to history and environment. Her public artwork Quarry can be found at Toogood Pond in Markham; (ii) Andrea Carson Barker: A former art critic, member of the Toronto Public Art Commission and member of the Markham business community; (iii) Xiaojing Yan: A Chinese-Canadian visual artist based in Markham whose work marries Chinese heritage with Canadian experience through the lens of a first-generation immigrant.
– Hands-on workshop to collectively imagine the future of public art in Markham. The activity will be led by Crazy Dames, a collaborative of artists, designers and urban planners who were recently the community artists-in-residency at the Varley Art Gallery.
All ages welcome. Refreshment will be provided.
City of Markham | York Region Arts Council
In Partnership With: