By Shelly Khushal
Inspired by water, ClearWater Farm is an educational farm with a vision of people living in harmony with nature and to deepen young people’s connections with the natural environment, marrying the arts, science and technology to cultivate a more sustainable future.
ClearWater Farm is on the shores of Lake Simcoe at Willow Beach. Since 2016, they have been transforming the 180-year old Reed Farm, 30 acres, leased from the Town of Georgina, into a place that honours history and simultaneously advances four strategic objectives: Place-based Education, Educational Farming, Water Conservation and Economic Development.
ClearWater Farm is open to the public for family fun every Saturday until October. During those days you’ll find:
· Local Artisan market
· Art and Nature Activities and Workshops
· Environmental Workshops
· Outdoor Yoga Classes· Kids interactive website to help families explore nature
· Hosting school trips, camps and kids programs
· Food & Drinks
· Self-Guided Tours
They also offer:
· Educational Programs
· Weekly Food Programs – ClearWater Farm delivers local food to members of our weekly basket program. Each week starting in March organically grown fruits and veggies to your door or to pre-specified pick-up locations in Georgina, York Region, and the Greater Toronto Area. We offer three sizes of food baskets and our subscriptions automatically renew weekly unless you put them on hold. Become a member to enjoy the benefits of healthy, farm fresh, local food. A weekly newsletter will let you know what’s in your basket, along with a few tasty recipes to help facilitate meal planning.
· Farm Stand – The ClearWater Farm Market is open Fridays from 3pm to 6pm and Saturdays from 9.30am to 1pm, from the May long weekend to the middle of October. Come out and buy fresh veggies, local products, and bring the kids along for some fun on the farm.
The ClearWater Farm Stand is run by farmers in their Young Agripreneur Program. This multi-year apprenticeship program was designed to help young people, with a passion for growing, find a path towards making a living in the exciting discipline of regenerative farming – in hopes of helping to raise future farmers.
ClearWater Farm is on the shores of Lake Simcoe in Georgina
1614 Metro Road N, Willow Beach
Open Saturdays 9:00 am-4:00 pm
Shelly Khushal is a busy mother of two and an active member of the York Region community, always keeping abreast of the social scene, latest trends and products; highlighting fun events in and around York Region.
Main photo: Annabel Slaight, founding chair of the ClearWater Farm, stands in The Barn – rebuilt after an accidental fire reduced it to rubble in 2016 – during a photo shoot earlier this year. The Barn is being re-imagined as an arts centre where art and nature go hand-in-hand.
Photo row, from left: The ClearWater Farm food program; selling local products at the ClearWater Farm store; outdoor yoga during Summer Saturdays and good reading for young folks interested in the environment.